Guide to Canoeing The River Wye
|The Scar Brobury To Hampton Bishop|
|Glasbury||Miles from Glasbury||Miles from last point|
|21||1.5||The Scar, Brobury
NGR SO 352445
High sandstone cliff on left bank, clothed with beeches. Look out for several large boulders in river bed, often just below the surface.
NGR SO 358435
Large mansion in Queen Anne style on right bank, built in 1783. The grounds around the house were landscaped by Capability Brown.
NGR SO 365433
Abutments only remain of Moccas Toll bridge, which stood from 1868 to 1960 when it was damaged by floods and not restored. Beware stones close to surface.
NGR SO 374425
NGR SO 375429
See separate plan. Land on gravel bank on left for inspection of falls only. The channel, except in flood conditions, is to the left of the island with a small fall at the top. Inspect the whole run of fast water for obstructions and fallen trees.
|23.25||0.5||Preston on Wye (CS)
NGR SO 382426
Church near right bank.
NGR SO 400425
Few houses on left bank. Weedy shallows as far as Bridge Sollers. Landing on left bank 200m below pumping station, in front of black and white cottage. Overgrown area. Site of old ford. Access from road down narrow lane. No permission required. No parking or facilities.
NGR SO 413425
Bridge across river.
NGR SO 432412
Few houses on right bank. No bridge.
NGR SO 434419
No weir now. Large attractive walled garden on left, well maintained by the National Trust, with surviving masonry and a cistern from the Roman period. Gardens are open to the public from March to October.
NGR SO 451401
Left hand channel round island.
|33.75||4.25||Hereford (CS LP SH PH WC I)
NGR SO 509396
See separate plan. Hereford grew up around an ancient river crossing, which explains its name, meaning 'ford of the army'. Among the many places of interest are the cathedral and medieval chained library, the Old House museum, Museum of Cider, city walls and the old castle site at Castle Green. A variety of river crossings include the disused iron railway bridge at Hunderton, the modern Greyfriars Bridge, the Wye Bridge built in 1490 and the elegant Victorian suspension bridge of 1898. Landing on right bank below old road bridge. No permission required. Car parking nearby.
NGR SO 523387
Sewerage outfall on left and private road bridge, followed by railway bridge. Small rapid below railway bridge, passage to right.
NGR SO 550382
Road (B4224) behind floodbank on left. The village inn, the 'Bunch of Carrots', takes its unusual name from a salmon pool nearby. No launching or landing permitted here.